Clarinda, Iowa was founded in 1851, and incorporated on December 8, 1866. Many stories are told of such notables as Jesse James frequently passing through. The town is named for Clarinda Buck, who according to legend carried water to the surveyors while Page County was first being surveyed.
Clarinda is the home of the Clarinda A's, our summer amateur baseball team. The Clarinda A's got their start In 1955, when Bill Bench and Vernon Woodard formed and managed a team of local players. Because the financial backing for the team was from local businessmen, they were called the Merchants. The Merchants played their first game in May of '55 and in that first box score lineup were Jerry Jennings, Dean and Gene Bentley, Ralph Taylor, Norman Discher, Merl Eberly, Max Doughterty, Ken Warrick and pitcher Bill Hullinger who threw the entire nine innings for a 9-5 victory over Shenandoah.
In 1981 the A's won the National Baseball Congress championship. They have sent several players on to the major leagues, notably hall of famer Ozzie Smith - who regularly returns to Clarinda for special events.